Give a gift of wearable book art by folding up an origami heart ring. For Valentine’s, Galantine’s or Palantine’s…who needs a reason for paper love?! Fiddly but ever so impressive.
Origami paper 10cm x 10cm (4″ x 4″) – that’s it!
Step by step:
- Fold in half squareways, and open out.
2. Fold bottom edge up to middle crease.
3. And what’s now the bottom crease up to the middle crease too.
4. Turn the paper 180 degrees.
5. And repeat steps 2 and 3.
6. Open out and fold in half squareways the opposite way to the very first fold we made at the beginning.
7. Unfold and turn 90 degrees.
8. Fold down the top crease line, away from you.
9. Draw down the top left corner to align with the centre crease.
10. Draw the top right corner down to meet at the centre too.
11. Flip over, keeping point at the top.
12. Fold the point down as shown above.
13. Flip over. Draw your thumb up the centre crease on the left hand side, to open up the fold and then press it flat.
14. The crease should line up with the horizontal fold at the top.
15. Repeat on the right hand side.
16. Fold the top left wing down at an angle of 45 degrees to create a little triangle.
17. Repeat on the right hand side.
18. Tuck the remaining corners underneath neatly.
19. You can see that a heart shape has formed on the other side.
20. Flip back to where we were, and fold the first crease back on itself.
21. Then pinch that double thickness and fold it up to the next line.
22. And make another fold upwards.
23. And another.
24. We’re ready to form the long strip into a ring shape. Gently roll the paper, bending it into a circle – use a round pencil if that helps.
25. When the paper is nicely pliable, narrow down the top right edge by folding it in as shown.
26. At the left hand end, ease open the pocket and slide the right end in, completing the Origami Heart Ring.
27. Tweak to fit.
Use bigger paper with the same instructions for romantic napkin rings.
Happy folding dear paper lovers.
If you’d like to use more maps in your creations, sign up for MapLove – we begin 3rd March!